The 2021 Dental Social Media Marketing Trends
Staying up to date on the current social media trends should be a top priority for all dental practices. Over the last year, there has been a monumental increase in social media consumption due to the pandemic, with 43% of users now spending more time on their social media platforms than ever before. Here are the social media platforms your practice should be using to attract, engage and convert new patients in 2021.
Instagram experienced an unprecedented degree of growth in 2020 and now represents the sixth-most visited website on the planet. In the US, Instagram has over 140 million daily users with an average use time of more than 30 minutes per day. During those 30 minutes, the majority of Instagram users are checking out business profiles and researching products and services that they need. It is critical that your practice to be one of these business profiles that they visit.
Instagram Stories, in particular, have now become an integral feature of the platform. Their reach and visibility is unmatched and your Instagram followers are already readily engaging with Stories from their favorite businesses. Here’s the data:
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day.
- 58% of people say they have become more interested in a business or service after seeing it in Stories.
- 50% of people have actually visited a website to make a purchase after seeing a product or service in Stories.
- Business profiles Instagram Stories have an incredible 86% completion rate!
With such high intentional engagement, Instagram Stories are a great tool to immediately attract and convert more new patients. Stories can make your practice’s content approachable, fun and quirky, all while showcasing your dental expertise and passion. If you’re interested in Stories, here’s a few best practices to incorporate into your strategy:
- Polls Sticker, write a poll (this or that) and customize two answers between which your followers can choose from. This is an incredibly useful tool for cultivating dynamic conversations and gathering audiences’ preferences like, “Which toothpaste do you like best: Crest or Colgate?”
- Question Sticker, an interactive way to engage with your followers by hosting dental Q&A sessions, collecting practice feedback, or asking your followers what they would like to see from your practice.
- Mention Sticker, tag another Instagram account in your story. These are great to use for employee-oriented posts and cross-promoting your referral doctor network.
- Hashtag Sticker, create a clickable hashtag for your Stories. You can feature your practice’s own branded hashtag. At PBHS, our branded hashtag is #WeSpeakDental.
- Tutorial, a great alternative to the traditional dental educational post. Dental “how-tos” can be broken down into appealing and engaging short videos on your Story that increase engagement and showcase your practice’s expertise.
2020 gifted us with TikTok, a modern nod to Vine. TikTok is a vide-social media platform where users create and share short video snippets, traditionally of lip-syncing, dancing and other real-life scenarios and human-interest pieces. Dentists should be paying attention to TikTok because it is immediately relevant right NOW. Here’s the data:
- There are more than500 million daily active users on the platform
- TikTok is the most downloaded app on Apple, with 33 million downloads
- Users spend an average of 52 minutes on the platform daily.
If you’re interested in creating a TikTok to promote your practice, here’s a few best practices to keep in mind:
- Create a branded profile by choosing a username that is approachable and professional, as well as a profile picture that is a headshot of the dentist(s) or the practice logo.
- Use #hashtags! Hashtags on TikTok are a lot like hashtags on Instagram, add multiple hashtags to each post to be found by users using industry-specific hashtags like #dentist, #dentalimplants and #bestsmiles.
- Share information, but make it fun! Visually engaging videos that keep user’s attention and promotes your expertise in the dental field.
TikTok is a social media platform that dentists and dental specialists will want to incorporate into their social media marketing efforts. With its engaged audience, TikTok is the perfect platform to boost your practice’s social media presence in 2021.
Here’s some TikTok inspiration from some our favorite practices:
- COVID-19 Vaccine
- COVID-19, we’re open!
- #BussItChallenge, COVID-19
- Fun with Patients
- Patient Transformation
- Staff Fun
Social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok are a vital marketing channel for engaging with patients and promoting your practice in 2021. To learn more about how Social Media strategies can be implemented to grow your practice, click here or call us at 800-840-5383.